However, a toothache that persists after 48 hours may be a warning sign. Knowing the factors behind a toothache can help you understand the importance of having a dental professional exam an aching tooth.
Fort Worth Toothache Quiz
1. True or False: A toothache can have multiple causes.
2. True or False: Dental pain can be a warning sign of a serious dental health problem.
3. True or False: You may require a dental filling if you have a cavity.
4. True or False: A dental crown may be necessary to address a toothache.
1. True. A toothache may be the result of a sinus infection. Other times, a tooth may ache as a result of damage from injury or bruxism (teeth grinding). However, the most common cause of a toothache is poor oral hygiene. Not brushing and flossing your teeth properly, combined with a diet high in sugary foods and drinks, can weaken your tooth enamel and expose the sensitive inner layers of dentin below the surface to harmful bacteria. Soon, a cavity forms.
2. True. Once a cavity forms, a patient will experience tooth sensitivity or even a full-blown toothache. The cavity will continue to spread, allowing to bacteria to reach the inner pulp and cause an infection. By not addressing a toothache early, you increase the chances of developing an infected tooth, one that may require root canal treatment.
3. True. The most common solution for a cavity is a dental filling. Our fillings are made using a metal-free composite resin, which can be shaded to blend with existing tooth structure. After removing decay and thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting the tooth, we will add the composite material and cure it with a special light.
4. True. For more advanced decay or in the case of a damaged tooth, we may suggest a dental crown to address a toothache. A crown is made from a variety of materials and covers the visible portion of the tooth. The crown preserves the remaining tooth structure while preventing further decay or infection.