Find Out Why Thousands Have Had Their Smile Enhanced With Porcelain Veneers
At Ft. Worth Cosmetic and Family Dentistry, we understand the impact a beautiful smile can have.
You can make a lasting impression and enjoy confidence with an esthetically pleasing smile.
However, few people have time for multiple procedures or office visits in order to address common smile imperfections, such as misshapen teeth or enamel discoloration.
Patients with these issues may refuse to smile and suffer from low self-esteem because of their unattractive teeth.
Fortunately, Dr. Nikki Green can instantly improve the appearance of teeth with porcelain veneers. Veneers can restore your smile to its original glory, boosting your confidence and making smiling easy.
They can also restore function to chipped or crooked teeth that may cause problems for you when chewing.
To learn more about the benefits of porcelain veneers, call our Ft. Worth dental office today for an appointment.
What are Porcelain Veneers?
A porcelain veneer consists of a very thin layer of porcelain that the doctor custom designs to fit over one of your visible teeth.
We may place one or several in order to transform the appearance of your smile. Dr. Green will design your veneers to match the exact color and shape of your natural teeth so they blend seamlessly with your smile, then send the design to a U.S.-based dental lab where technicians will use it to hand-craft your new veneers.
The doctor will bond your veneers to the front surface of your teeth, and you will find it virtually impossible to tell where your natural teeth end and the veneers begin.
The translucence of the porcelain the doctor uses to create your veneers mimics the reflective properties of the enamel on natural teeth and creates a very natural appearance.
As a restorative material, porcelain resists most stains, including those caused by wine, colas, and tobacco. Porcelain gives your smile strength and security, and with proper care, your veneers will last 20 years or longer.
Many doctors who have traditionally turned to dental crowns to restore discolored or damaged teeth have found that porcelain veneers offer a fantastic alternative for restoring smiles.
Like crowns, they help hide chips and stains, however they can also fill in gaps between teeth, and correct mild misalignment.
Dr. Green can place veneers with minimal removal of the tooth’s structure and still provide you with teeth in the shape and color you desire.
Compared to some other restorations, she can have your veneers placed fairly quickly.
There will be a two-week turnaround while the lab creates the veneers, but once they arrive in our office, the doctor can bond them quickly and with very little discomfort to you.
How Will Veneers Improve My Smile?
We may use porcelain veneers to address a number of common imperfections. We can use them to repair issues such as:
- Chipped Teeth – When a patient bites into something hard, or gets hit in the face with a hard object, like a baseball, the patient often ends up with a chipped tooth. Dr. Green can place veneers over chipped teeth, improving their appearance and strength.
- Permanent Teeth Stains and Discoloration – Whitening treatments will eliminate most stains, but some patients refuse them due to the tooth sensitivity they can sometimes cause. Other patients may have intrinsic stains, which emanate from the inside of the tooth and respond poorly to conventional whitening treatments. Veneers can cover these areas of discoloration, keeping your smile looking clean and white, without bleaching agents that make your teeth sensitive.
- Worn Down or Misshapen Teeth – Most patients will notice their teeth wearing down with age, but some patients may experience a wearing down of their teeth related to other issues. The biggest cause of wear and tear to the teeth is bruxism, or teeth grinding. Bruxism can cause serious damage to your teeth if not treated properly. Porcelain veneers can cover the worn teeth, but the patient will need to talk to Dr. Green about a night guard to prevent teeth grinding.
- Gaps Between the Teeth – Dr. Green can design your veneers so that they give your teeth a wider appearance, effectively filling in any gaps you may have between your teeth.
- The Appearance of Mild Misalignment – Dr. Green can use veneers to give uneven teeth a feeling of symmetry, and to cover mildly misaligned teeth to improve appearance and function. For more severe cases of misalignment, the doctor may recommend orthodontic treatment.
What Does the Placement Process Involve?
Having porcelain veneers placed will typically require two visits to our office over a period of about two weeks.
You will begin the process by attending a consultation with Dr. Green. She will review your medical and dental records, and then perform a comprehensive oral exam to ensure that no other work needs completing before placing veneers.
When the doctor feels that you qualify as a candidate for veneers, she will begin preparing your teeth.
To prepare your teeth, Dr. Green will remove just enough enamel from the surface of each tooth to allow the veneer to fit correctly, without feeling bulky in your mouth.
Then she will take impressions of your teeth, which she will use to create a wax model of your mouth. Using the wax model, the doctor will create a mockup of your new veneers and give you a preview of what your smile will look like when she places them.
When you and Dr. Green feel comfortable with the way the model looks, she will send the impression, along with her design for your veneers to our dental lab, where technicians will begin the fabrication of your new veneers.
When the veneers arrive in our office about two weeks later, you will return to the office to have them permanently placed.
Dr. Green will place the veneers on your teeth and check to make sure they fit properly and provide good occlusion. She will make any necessary adjustments, then clean, polish, and etch your teeth in preparation for bonding.
This helps the veneer bond to the tooth better. She will apply a strong, yet safe dental cement to each veneer and place them on your teeth.
When satisfied with the position of the veneers, the doctor will use a curing light to activate and harden the cement, permanently bonding them in place.
How Do I Maintain My New Restorations?
You will care for your veneers the same as you do your natural teeth. Continue to brush twice daily, and floss at least once a day.
Your new veneers will resist most stains, so you will need to practice vigilance with your brushing habits, to ensure your teeth all remain the same shade of white.
Attend regular cleanings and checkups every six months, so the doctor can monitor your veneers and make sure they continue to function properly.
With proper care and maintenance, your veneers can last over two decades.
A Professional You Can Trust
Dr. Nikki Green has the advanced cosmetic training necessary to ensure your porcelain veneers look beautiful and fit comfortably in your smile.
She has completed hundreds of hours of post-graduate cosmetic dentistry courses to hone her talents, and continues attending new courses each year to stay up to date on the latest technology and techniques involving porcelain veneers.
The doctor has completed the Frank Spear Mastery Continuum, and has become a member of the esteemed Spear Faculty Club, where she works to improve other dentists’ techniques and keep them abreast of the latest in cosmetic dentistry practices.