Through the application of dental veneers we have been able to provide beautiful, natural smiles to so many of our patients. If this procedure is one that you’re considering, then the answers to these commonly asked questions may help.
What are veneers?
Dental veneers are natural-looking cosmetic dental treatments to help improve the appearance of your teeth. Thin porcelain veneers are bonded to your teeth with a strong and resilient adhesive in order to improve visual imperfections such as gaps, stains, overlaps and chips.
Are veneers available for everyone?
During an initial consultation we will discuss whether veneers are appropriate for you.
Some of the influencing factors that we may assess include:
• The presence of Periodontal Disease
• Inefficient enamel on your teeth
• Teeth grinding
Any of these could mean that veneers are not right for you, at least not right now. Of course, we will discuss how to treat conditions such as periodontal disease in order to improve your eventual success with veneers.
We always look for solutions to make it possible for you to receive the cosmetic dentistry services you would like.
How are veneers made?
There are five steps involved in preparing your veneers.
1. At your initial appointment we will prepare “impressions” of your teeth. This is a simple and painless procedure and the only thing you will need to do is bite into a soft material which will allow us to capture the exact shape and placement of your current teeth.
2. These impressions will be made into a model on which a dental technician can begin to build your veneers. The model ensures a perfect, natural fit for your veneers.
3. Once the veneers are made we will schedule an appointment to check for fit and color.
4. Adjustments may be needed to match the color to your existing teeth or, in some cases, to fine tune the fit.
5. Once the veneers are perfect we will schedule an appointment to apply them.
How are my veneers applied?
Much like a sanded surface allows for a firmer adhesion when applying a fresh coat of paint, a roughened surface on your existing teeth will assist in the application of your veneers. We will apply a light etching to your teeth’s surface and offer a local anesthetic to avoid any discomfort.
Your veneers are applied using a special bonding agent that is adhered using heat. The heat is provided with a curing light that works with the bonding agent for a perfect seal.
How long will veneers last?
Your veneers are a permanent solution to improving your smile, and we will offer guidance on their care before you leave the clinic.
We invite you to schedule an appointment now to discuss your suitability for dental veneers, by phoning our friendly team on 817.737.6601 or emailing.